Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I never was a ditto-head, and I never will be

Sometimes, I'm reminded of why I used to be a liberal. Not often, mind you, but I just read this:

To Rush Limbaugh on Monday, Michael J. Fox looked like a faker. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, has done a series of political ads supporting candidates who favor stem cell research, including Maryland Democrat Ben Cardin, who is running against Republican Michael Steele for the Senate seat being vacated by Paul Sarbanes.
"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."
What an ass. Let's face it, even if he's absolutely right, he still looks like an ass.
I've seen the ad. It's sad and painful to watch a young, vibrant guy clearly sliding downhill due to this illness. All I could think about was how hard it must be for his wife and children to watch him get worse over the years and slowly lose him.
Whatever your position on stem cell research, it's riduclous to criticize Fox for taking a stand on it, since for him the stakes are SO personal. It's fine for Rush to disagree with his position, but just leave it at that.

No comments: