Sunday, October 08, 2006

Conceal Carry Mayor

Hey, if Duval Patrick wins maybe we can move to this town because I'm pretty sure I can get along with this mayor quite well. The guy sounds cool. The Repubs in the town sound like idiots (or Massachusetts natives, distinction without a difference?):

James Feehan, a Republican and chairman of the Town Council, told the newspaper that he saw the mayor carrying two guns at the same time -- one strapped to the ankle and the other under his suit jacket -- during a council meeting within the past few months.

"As a gun owner myself, I believe the mayor certainly has the right to carry a gun or guns as long as he has a legal permit," Feehan said. "However, if his guns are making Town Hall employees and citizens uncomfortable, as I have been told, I would ask that he cease and desist immediately.

"While I understand the mayor's personal safety concerns, I don't believe he should be carrying guns to Town Hall if they are posing a threat to anyone," Feehan said.

Feehan added that he has never carried one of his guns into Town Hall, despite threats by a handful of residents against council members in recent years.

Idiot.

Of course the real capper is at the end:
Lifelong Stratford resident Kelly Sheridan said she found the news "shocking."

"I can't believe in a town like Stratford the mayor would have to carry a gun, especially to Town Hall and council meetings," Sheridan said. "I don't think it's necessary and sends the wrong message to residents and young people."

What wrong message would that be? That it's OK to defend yourself against crime? That the police, despite being great guys, can't be everywhere all the time? That it's more important for sheep to feel safe than to see the teeth of the sheepdogs?
Oh, and vote for Kerry Healey

No comments: