Friday, June 24, 2005

Patriot Act and Gun Control

TriggerFinger has this up on his site related to the Patriot Act.

The topic is the allowance by the act of seizure of business records. I believe this is the same topic as the library controversy, though I may be wrong. I'm a bit confused by this, since I believe, like the library controversy, the law enforcement agency is not allowed just to go fishing through records. They must have a reason.

I don't think the Patriot Act is adding anything new though. In fact I seriously doubt that if they issued it again that the portion on blanket seizures wouldn't again be found unconstitutional. I also recall that the BATFE could always view those records. I believe all they need to do is "audit" the company and they would have open access to the records.

I am a bit worried about TriggerFinger's statement on reports of the BATFE scanning all of a company's 4473's. That doesn't sound proper. I've done a bunch of searches and come up empty on any reports of this in the news. I left a comment with questions at TriggerFinger, and hopefully he has better access to an information source than I've been able to find.

No comments: