Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Immigration

VDH article on illegal immigration. Pretty good points made there. I especially liked this one, since I've been reading on the new illegal alien policy discussion lately.
Illegal immigration is again in the headlines, but the debate isn't going anywhere. Instead, all the tired controversies are again being aired.
Hanson goes on to make several points that aren't typically addressed. Including the unfairness to immigrants from other countries who wait long periods for legal immigration, prison costs for illegals drawing large amounts of funds from other institutions, etc.

This all leads into the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill. WaPo has an article on the subject. It still sounds like another amnesty deal to me. I just don't by the payment of a small fine as being a system to then allow illegals legal status. It strikes me more as an amnesty where the illegal pays for the visa and then doesn't have to go home.

Amnesty obviously didn't work in 1986 when it was tried. There are more illegals than there were at the time of that amnesty. I understand that there are jobs that need to be filled by low cost workers. I also understand that we need to be in control of people coming into this country and that we presently don't have that control. This bill strikes me as just awarding the illegals and encouraging more illegals, since for certain, there will be another amnesty in the future.

No comments: