Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Whip-Poor-Wills Problems

I have Whip-Poor-Will problems. Not in the Lovecraftian context, but in the obnoxious loud pest realm.

I wish there were fewer of them near me. They love to come and sit in a Lilac near my window and at 2:00 AM start screaming their "whimsical" song. After I peel myself off the ceiling, I usually curse and try to go back to sleep. Not easy when there is a little bird with a big mouth outside the window somewhere.

This article claims there is a decline in Whip-Poor-Wills in NH. They don't know why. I bet it has something to do with night time shootings.

2 comments:

geekwife said...

We had one on the back hill for a couple of years. Luckily, it tended to make most of its noise in the evening, before I went to bed, so it rarely kept me awake. It was VERY loud, very repetitive and very long-winded. I don't envy you having one right outside your window.

Granted said...

Just remember, when they start to synchronize with your breathing, run.