Monday, August 22, 2005

Bring Back the Viet Nam Protest Ethos

I don't usually post anything that was previously posted by Instapundit (H/T) because, really, what would be the point. However, this is so much more coherent than my rant below, and yet, in the same vein, that I figured, this time, I'd post from the IP in order to have more complete, and clear, communication on this topic.
Althouse talks about the implications and efficacy of bringing back the good old days of protest. Nixon won... twice. That's despite Joan Baez (crunch, crunch, grind) being against him... twice. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bring back Tricky Dick. I just want to point out that, while the anti-war protesters back them got some of what they wanted (we pulled out of Viet Nam, prematurely and disastrously), but actually lost a lot of other things that they marched for as well. For example, 7 out of 10 of the presidential elections since 1968 have gone for the counter-counter-culture candidate. Something to think about. Althouse lays it out much better than I can.

No comments: