Monday, May 09, 2005

More On Cosby

Via Austin Bay, Via Instapundit. More on Cosby's campaign to help, yes, I said help, the poor. It's all still very interesting. Add in this article from Salon where a very successful lady talks about being kept down because of her skin color. I'm kind of confused by it all.
Was He White Or Black
Her kids sounded like mine sound now. They have various ethnic groups in their classes and just don't refer to them as the black/indian/chinese/japanese/hispanic/martian kid. It's just another kid to them. Silly me, I thought that was the right way to be. Judge them by the content of their character, not the color of their skin I've heard, wisely, said.

1 comment:

geekwife said...

Very interesting read in Salon. Although it seems like she is a little too concerned with race, I guess as a white it's pretty easy to have that perspective. The times when I have been self-concious of my race have been very few. Getting through adolescence is so tough, I can't imagine having the added burden of not being black/white enough that she had.

It seems likely that each generation will care about it less, as more and more we have a shared culture, not defined by skin color. Because the color is mostly noted as a signifier of culture, and it is the cultural attibutes that concern us.

And let's hope Bill Cosby is successful in his efforts. It will be good for all of us.