Sunday, May 29, 2005

Ban the Knives

Oh this is rich. I mean really, really rich. Beautiful old Great Britain has all but banned private gun ownership. Which means, of course, that they have a virtually crime free society. What? Oh, they have a higher crime rate than in the US. Murder is on the rise (overall murder rate is still below the US) and they aren't using guns. They're using knives. Great big Rambo style survival knives with hollow handles and wicked saw backs that we can ban based on their appearance? Nope. Kitchen knives. Best of all, doctors are calling for a ban on overly pointy kitchen knives.

After they ban the kitchen knives, assuming the nanny state wins, they'll need to ban hammers. I've got a couple of those downstairs that'll put down a bull, let alone a human being. Then they'll need to ban sticks and rocks and... Oh, what's the point. Face it guys. It doesn't matter what you ban, people will find a way to kill each other. We've had 50,000 years of practice and we're quite good at it.

2 comments:

Nylarthotep said...

I especially like the "cutting into a ripe melon" analogy. Can't hit those internal organs with a paring knife though. Funny, most paring knives are at a minimum 3 inches of blade. I'd guess that I could puncture a lung or slash your liver with a knife that short. Not to mention cutting your throat.

Give me a freaking break. Prisoner's in jails make shivs out of just about anything and they definitely don't have access to knives of any kind.

Oh mommy state, protect me from myself. Wait a minute, they can't even do that.

Granted said...

Yeah, I was going to comment on my 2.5" pocket knife and how it'd kill someone, including rupturing organs (even FAT people's kidneys are pretty close to the surface) but decided to leave that one alone.