Thursday, May 12, 2005

Lifestyle Discrimination

I've seen this topic in a couple of places today. Remember the Weyco firing of smokers to lower medical costs? That's the topic again. The title link is the ACLU's posture on the topic.

This USA Today article discusses some companies that have been practicing lifestyle discrimination against smokers. The article states that 29 states have some form of law that limits what companies can do relative to lifestyle discrimination. I've definitely have had trouble finding any evidence of this on-line, but I'm probably not looking in the right places or looking for the right things.

Some of what I have found is actually older than I expected. Some of the documents I've looked at are dated 2002 from Berkeley. Well, here is a case where I definitely agree with the ACLU.

No comments: