Monday, May 09, 2005

It's OK to be progressive

The head of MoveOn.Org is interviewed over at Salon. It makes me crazy, because except for the fiscal conservatism and the military, I agree with these guys more than I agree with the Repugs. That said, it's statements like this that confirm me in my stances:

What you believe about how the world should be is something that a lot of other people believe as well.


And there's the problem. The world, to a very large degree, has to be addressed based on what it is, not what it should be. Should we be able to live in utopia so that every person gets exactly what they need without impacting any other person negatively without violence, prejudice, pollution, poverty, disease, suffering, death or too many rainy days (unless you like rain and then you'll get that too)? Sure. Back on planet Earth, death, taxes, poverty, war and want seem to be a part of the human condition. We should do everything we can to address as much of that as possible, but it must be done in a realistic manner.

I mean, he's still saying crap about if only the votes in Ohio had switched we'd have President Kerry. Fine, for every vote he wants switched in Ohio, let's switch one in Pennsylvania. Before "President Kerry" gets elected, we'd have President Bush again since Kerry's margin of victory in that state was more narrow than Bush's in Ohio. When will the Dems give up this kind of nonsense?

The one thing he does get right is talking about how the Dems approach everything strategically. Instead of just going with their gut. He thinks it's because they over-analyze. I think it's because they know that if they really say what they want, they know that a healthy percentage of the center will run screaming into the arms of the Repugs. For example, there's an entire discussion about 2004 and the only time war is mentioned is when they bring up that 57% of people in a recent poll don't believe the Iraq War was worth the price we're paying for it. That's it. No discussion on how maybe, just maybe, the Dems need to sac up a bit on the War on Terror and recognize the fact that this isn't Vietnam (hell, I'd love to see them recognize that their perception of Vietnam isn't reality, but that'd be asking too much).

1 comment:

Nylarthotep said...

I still dislike MoveOn. Mostly because they are a 527.

I also find far too much hubris coming from those calling themselves "progressive." The interview still lead me to the conclusion that they think people got the answer wrong after MoveOn provided the obvious logic for Kerry. Though I suppose that shouldn't be unexpected since any 527 must have a level of certainty that they are right. I just didn't see any retrospective conclusions that maybe they didn't have the right logic.

Hopefully, they will continue being the grass roots type of group that puts forward the interests of the populace. I am always suspicious of groups that look like grass roots organizations, but in the end are run and supervised by a party machine. All 527s are looking more like sections of the party machine to me, but then I'm the paranoid cynical sort.