Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Conyer's Call for Action: Blair Memo

I'm confused as to why this issue hasn't hit the MSM.

Conyer's and 88 democrats are screeching for answers related to an allegedly leaked secret memo from Blair's government. The memo discusses various aspects of planning and positioning for a regime change in Iraq. I've read the memo a couple of times, and I don't see anything that is either illegal or not easily explainable. I suppose if you want it to read that Bush was just going to war and don't look at anything else, it can look bad. But the details are very thin. Not to mention that planning for a conflict doesn't require congressional permission. Bush did get congressional approval for action prior to actually starting the conflict. There also was all the time spent in the UN trying to get Saddam to comply with the UN resolutions on WMD.

Most of the posturing in the Times original article makes it out that Blair supported an illegal regime change with Bush and that they then went to figure out how to justify it. I'd say that's drawing a conclusion from some very thin evidence.

I'm not even certain whether this memo is real. TimesonLine is claiming it is, but I'm going to remain a bit skeptical on that.

I'd be interested in seeing an answer to Conyer's letter, though I don't see anything that is overwhelmingly indicative of wrong doing. Of course, look at the democratic tin-foil cap sites and you'll see the screams starting for impeachment.

No comments: