Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Another Review of Freakonomics

I'm pretty sure we posted a link to a review of this book before (too damned lazy to track it down). It really sounds like a fascinating read. I'm still not entirely convinced that the correlations the authors list are actually causations as well. Does an increase in abortion cause a decrease in crime? It sure would be interesting to know. Historically was there a decrease in crime that corresponds with the introduction of the pill or the latex condom? If so, then the abortion/crime relationship could be pretty interesting. I'm not crazy about this review though. I find it hard to believe that this guy knew that low level workers in the crack distribution chain were making less than minimum wage and what the actual motivations (discussed in the book) and rewards are. I don't know that I'm going to run out and buy this, but I'll keep an eye out for it at the library.

No comments: