Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hillary Moves to the Right of Bush: I Think

I keep reading this and I just don't know who this person is. They claim it's Hillary, but that doesn't sound right to me.
"I believe that we lost critical time in dealing with Iran because the White House chose to downplay the threats and to outsource the negotiations," Ms. Clinton said, according to a transcript of the speech published by The Daily Princetonian. "I don't believe you face threats like Iran or North Korea by outsourcing it to others and standing on the sidelines."
I did laugh when Victor Davis Hanson stated (on Fox) that if Bush had moved to be the primary force in working against Iran, instead of the EU3, Hillary would have called him a unilateralist. I think he's right there.
In her Princeton speech, Ms. Clinton spoke of the gravity of Iran's program in terms similar to those used by the Administration.

"Let's be clear about the threat we face," Ms. Clinton said. "A nuclear Iran is a danger to Israel, to its neighbors and beyond."

"We cannot and should not - must not - permit Iran to build or acquire nuclear weapons," she said. "In order to prevent that from occurring, we must have more support vigorously and publicly expressed by China and Russia, and we must move as quickly as feasible for sanctions in the United Nations."

Heh. Bet that analysis irritated her.

I've actually liked the EU3 dealing with Iran. Not that their limp wristed methods will come to anything, but they are at least moving the diplomatic strides in the right direction. Slowly. It also makes it obvious that the US isn't bullying another Islamic country, since the EU3 are showing their great concern. With the US in Iraq, the EU3 at least play the diplomacy to the point where the UN can be pushed at least partly into some action.

The UN action will go nowhere for a while yet. I honestly think it comes down to Russia and China coming into the gang as active players against Iran, or at least neutral.


1 comment:

samrocha said...

Hi, I linked over here on a Blog search. I just posted a satirical “headline” on this topic; check it out if you want:

www.debaterelatepontificate.blogspot.com