Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Alito In

So it's over. Alito just needs to be sworn in.

A sharply divided U.S. Senate on Tuesday confirmed Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, backing a second conservative nominated by President George W. Bush in his effort to move the nation's highest court to the right.

The largely party-line vote was 58-42 to replace the more moderate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor with Alito, a federal appeals judge since 1990, and came four months after the Senate approved Bush's first Supreme Court nominee, John Roberts, as U.S. chief justice.

I was going to guess this was an Op-Ed when I read that first line, but it's not.
Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat, said, "I must say that I wish the president was in a position to do more than claim a partisan victory tonight."

"The union would be better and stronger and more unified if we were confirming a different nominee, a nominee who could have united us more than divided us," Schumer said.

Now tell us truthfully Chuckles, are you saying the partisan thing because Bush won, or because you lost? An interesting view if you're willing to look at the topic from both perspectives. I'd also guess that Chuckles would have voted against any nominee for the exact same reasoning he uses here. The difference for the nominee to get Chucky's vote would be that the judge would have to be a liberal Democrat.

With luck they can move on to actually doing something reasonable. I won't hold my breath in expectation though.


4 comments:

JM said...

Get over yourself. You know what Schumer was saying. There are judges that could make all Americans proud. Alito is not one of these.

Nylarthotep said...

Now there is some good logical commentary. Exactly what we expect from the likes of Schumer.

jon, if you can't see from all of the committee meetings and press coverage of this whole fight that the partisan politics was the sole reason for the whining of the left, you really aren't in touch with reality.

Maybe you should take your own advice and get over yourself.

JM said...

My point is this: You won. Your guy got in. The Federalist Society's plan came true to the letter. So what do you and the countless dittohead Republicans do to celebrate? Complain about something a Democrat did.
"Whining" was your word, and I'm sent grasping for synonyms when Republicans have complete power in this country and use it to complain about Democrats like they're running things.
It's really quite amazing to see; I'd think that you would celebrate the Alito confirmation but instead you "whine" about something a member of the minority party said. I can only help but wonder, are you guys serious about leading this country or just complaining about Democrats?

Nylarthotep said...

Maxson. You seem to make a major and typical blunder. I'm not and have never been a republican. My complaints about politician whining and corruption and all the other sundry rubbish that the politicos pull is completely non-partisan.

I point to the most recent tact that the more liberal sector of the Democratic party tends to be very obstructionist or as in Schumer's case, a constant whiner when they can't get the judicial nominee with their exact requirements, and you call me a "Republican."

It's quite astounding that so many people, of both extremes, have the tendency to paint any opposition to them as unreasonable and from the opposing party. Note that I mention perspective. Schumer's perspective is solely one sided and doesn't bother to consider the judicial abilities of Alito. Alito has always provided good and sound judicial review. As he got the highest rating from the ABA, which is far from friendly to conservative politics.

I don't choose to be stuck in such a rut and I will point that out on my blog when I choose to. You can point out what you like on yours. If you don't like the content here, you don't have to read or you can leave an intelligent comment. But don't get snide when you mischaracterize my political standing or my political commentary.