Thursday, March 03, 2005

WWI Color Photos

Found this at INDC Journal. Had to save the link somewhere.

Cool pictures, though just about all are of the french. There is one picture of soldiers in dark uniforms that I haven't been able to figure out. (17th photo)

Their rifles look like Mausers (though they almost look like P-17s - the guy on the right has his so you can see the flat magazine base plate and the middle guy is holding his so you can see the forarm finger grip slot [the P-14 didn't have that] but then the sites are completely wrong) with a blade bayonet, but I can't tell very well who they are.

The shakos are really frigging me up. No helmets.

UPDATE: I think they are Austrian. Those rifles look like Steyr Mannlicher M95.

Update: The link to bigdandbubba.com is broken and I don't know if it will be fixed. But you can try going to the cached page on google for a while. I'm copying the pictures that I like.

1 comment:

Granted said...

Link ain't working. Fix it damn it.