Monday, July 31, 2006

Why I Hate Barnes & Noble

I received a $100 gift card to B&N. Nice gift. So I used it this Sunday to buy a book and some DVDs.

This AM I get this email.
Dear Nylarthotep,

Thank you for shopping with Barnes&Noble.com!

We are contacting you concerning an order placed on your account. Our automated system
has identified a situation that requires us to speak with you as soon as possible.

Please email us at Authorizations@barnesandnoble.com or call 1-877-379-0036 Mon-Fri
between the hours of 8:30am - 5:00pm EST. If you are calling from outside the United
States, call 212-414-6024. Please be sure to have the credit card you used to place the
order available when contacting us.

Our order system does not permit us to hold an order open for longer than a week.
Therefore, it is important that we hear from you by Aug 06, 2006.

We appreciate your business and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Sales Audit Representative
Barnes&Noble.com
So there's no reason stated for the issue. So I reply:
What do you want? This email is a waste of my time by not specifying the issue.

Please specify the issue prior to proceding with this.
Being the nice guy I am I thought I was being pretty specific, and since I didn't feel like staying on call-waiting I gave them a chance to tell me the issue through email, which was their first response choice.

Then I get this email:
Dear Customer:

In order to resolve this situation as quickly as possible, please contact our Sales Audit Department at 1-877-379-0036. Customers living outside of the United States may contact us at 1-212-414-6024. Sales Audit Representatives are available to assist you from 8:30AM to 5PM E.S.T. Monday- Friday. It is vital that you call us within 72 hours of 7/31/06 to prevent the cancellation of your order. If you have any additional questions or comments, please email us at authorizations@book.com. Thank you for shopping at Barnes & Noble.com Please visit us again soon.

Sincerely,

Sales Audit Department

Barnes and Noble.com
OH. Now I have to call. I guess I should have been nicer. But now they will have to actually talk to me while I'm angry, so go figure whose going to be the loser on this one.

So I called ther number and fortunately got a representative fairly quickly. They asked me where I purchased the gift card. I said "I didn't, it was a gift." They respond, "yes, but where was it purchased?"

So I sigh heavily and explain that it was a gift, so I don't know, and what was the problem.

They say, "hold on, I'll be right back with you."

Five minutes later, they say every thing is set with my order and I'd be getting a confirmation email.

I say, thanks and hang up.

I wasn't in the mood anymore and just wanted to get off the phone.

I still don't know what the issue was.


3 comments:

Granted said...

You have to love that kind of stuff. "Yeah, it was a gift, but where was it purchased?" Dolts.

HELSINKILĂ„INEN said...

i ordered for the first time too at B&N, 2 days later i became almost the same email like you but it said that i should reply with all the information of the credit card, otherwise my order is going to be canceled within the next 72 hours :S

i wont reply because it sounds like a rip-off! f*ck that...

Don Uhrig said...

Your B&N story is hilarious!

My B&N experience has driven me to avoid B&N at all costs.

I’m a college student. I live on a small budget. I am highly organized. As quickly as textbook announcements are given – I make my selection and order early. Often, due to “special editions” I can only get certain textbooks through my University bookstore which is managed by… yes… B&N.

For one of my summer classes I ordered a textbook online from B&N @ UCF. I was shipped the wrong book. I contacted the number on the invoice immediately and was only issued a pre-paid UPS return label when I insisted they provide me with one. Their solution was for me to drive 15 miles to the campus for fix their error. I did end up driving 3 miles to the nearest UPS drop off.

I ordered the correct book from Amazon spending almost the same amount.

Three weeks later, and two weeks into class a credit had not yet appeared on my charge card. I tracked the return package — it had been delivered 16 days ago. I called the number on the invoice again. After 2 transfers and several minutes of hold I was told, “Oh, we were waiting for the correct book to come in for you.” That’s not what I asked them to do on the return form. I asked for a refund.

Being the smart guy that I am, I reminded the agent that I was expecting to see a full refund INCLUDING shipping. After all, I should not pay for the shipping of a wrong product.

Care to guess what I was told? If you guessed, “We can’t do that” then you are correct. Instead I was issued a Gift Card with the value of the shipping loaded on it.

Maybe that would be OK if I ever intended to shop at B&N again – but I will not.

B&N’s error has now injected itself into my life in a way that will carry on until I can at least use the curse card. Opps, I mean Gift Card.

If others can learn from this experience, then my venting has been worthwhile.

Wishing all readers of this post a long, peaceful, and happy life.

PS: Amazon Prime ROCKS!