Thursday, July 27, 2006

Saddam's "Trapped Rat" Moment

Funny that Saddam is so clearly showing his colors now. And they are especially characteristic of a Rat.
"I would like to remove myself from this courtroom," barked Saddam, who maintained that the court was not legitimate and that he did not have proper legal representation. "I wrote you a petition clarifying that I don't want to come to court, but they brought me against my will. ... I have been on a hunger strike since July 8."

Several times, he threatened the substitute attorneys, whose names were not released and whose voices were electronically altered on the courtroom sound system and TV broadcast feed. "You are my enemy," he told one of them. He pointed to another and exclaimed, "Damn you!"

At one point, Saddam informed Judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman that when he decides on a method of execution, "remember that Saddam Hussein is a military commander and should be shot by bullets, not hanged like a regular criminal." Though Saddam made himself head of the Iraqi military after becoming president in 1979, he never served in the armed forces and in fact failed the Baghdad Military Academy's entrance exam in the 1950s.

Saddam could be sentenced to death if found guilty of the Dujail killings, but Abdel-Rahman protested that it was too early in the proceedings to discuss possible punishments.

When Saddam pressed the point, Abdel-Rahman said: "I consider this an insult. ... From now on, if anyone, whoever it is, wants to impose their opinion on me, I will not stay in this position."

I'm betting the people that he had tortured and the families of those he had killed would prefer that he die by being drawn and quartered with a spoon.

Now he flails and squeaks like the vicious rat that he is.


No comments: