Monday, July 17, 2006

A Well Regulated Militia

I just don't have the time to put up a lot of comments about this. I'll say this much now. It sure sounds like it might be an interesting book. I personally subscribe to the individual right interpretation of the Second Amendment (that nagging phrase "the right of the people" which has such specific meaning everywhere else in the bill of the rights) so anything that supports it, even in a round-about way, sounds good to me. However, this doesn't sound like it's the case in this book. One of the really weird things that I read, quite a lot, and it was here too, is that if militia membership is required for gun ownership, then there would be no hand guns. Is this because people think that the military doesn't have & use hand guns? I assure you, they do. Therefor, hand guns would still be in circulation in civilian hands, despite whatever gun control scheme you're subscribing to.
The argument that keeps coming out is this definition of "citizen". Yet, the right is ascribed to the "people". I realize I'm just a simple person reading these words, but in my mind, they are, in fact, different, with inherently different implications. So that if it said "the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" I really could see a different reading than "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I don't know. Stupid and ignorant I guess.
h/t History Carnival

No comments: