Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Paltrow Nausea

Love actors.

It's a declaration that has gone down rather badly in America. The 34-year-old Oscar winner, who has lived in London since marrying Coldplay frontman Chris Martin three years ago, said: 'I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America.

'People don’t talk about workand money, they talk about interesting things at dinner.

'I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilised than the Americans.'

Last night, as her comments were reported in her homeland, Americans called chat shows and radio phone-ins to express their disgust at her 'betrayal'.

'If she feels that way we are far better off without her,' said one commentator. A disgruntled caller added: 'She sounds like she thinks she’s better than us.

I don't know why anyone would be irritated by this statement. Don't these American Neanderthals listen to their liberal political masters? John Kerry has repeatedly pointed out that the populace isn't smart enough to understand his nuanced political stands, nor his proposals for governmental changes. Whoopi, Rosie, The Dixie Chicks, Devito, Williams, and many of the rest of the screeching actors must know more than the rest of us poor dolts, because, well, they're actors. With such profound credentials who could possibly doubt that they are more intelligent and civilized than the rest of the American public.

Strange how she seems to be back peddling really hard at the moment.
Following the report, Paltrow issued a statement through People magazine, saying that she was "deeply upset" by the story.

"I never, ever would have said that," she said. "I feel so lucky to be American. I feel so proud to be American."

"This is what I said. I said that Europe is a much older culture, and there's a difference. I always say in America, people live to work, and in Europe, people work to live. There are positives in both."

Paltrow did not give an interview to the newspaper but did speak in Spanish at a recent press conference. She later said: "Obviously, I need to go back to seventh-grade Spanish."
Yeah. I'm guessing that it came through translation just fine.


No comments: