Monday, April 24, 2006

iJacking

That is one stupid moniker. However, it's an interesting crime, if for no other reason than the fact that I'm finally wireless at work. I see two aspects to the crime and they both have to do with situation awareness. As anyone who's attended self-defense seminars, read books on the subject, studied at a good martial arts school, etc., knows, being aware of your surroundings and what's going on around you is one of the most important parts of self defense. So this crime has two aspects to it. First, and most obvious, are the habitual victims who simply don't have any situational awareness. They walk across the room leaving their laptop (and purse and wallet and whatever) laying on a table top. Shock of shock, someone stole it. On the other hand, I'm normally fairly conscious of what's going on around me until I'm focused, like when I'm working on a computer. Then, the world falls away. In that state, I'd be a good target for a snatch & grab. Of course, you better run FAST because you don't want me to catch you.
So what can you do? Best advice I have is choose your seat carefully and orient yourself so it's not easy for someone to grab stuff & run. Same reason you put bags & stuff to the inside of a booth, rather than outside. I don't know that I have much to add past that. Look up once in a while? I'd personally find that hard to do.

No comments: