Friday, October 21, 2005

Krauthammer on Miers

I had an open mind about Miers at the start, but I'm starting to think that maybe she really isn't terribly qualified. I take the hissy fits the far right is throwing as a good sign, but reasonable people on the right and left seem to have some serious concerns about her as well.

When the chairman and ranking member of the Judiciary Committee express bipartisan exasperation, annoyance and almost indignation at her answers to the committee's simple questionnaire, she's got trouble. This after she confused Chairman Specter about her position on Griswold, the second most famous ``right to privacy'' case ever, and seemed confused when answering ranking Democrat Leahy's question about her favorite justice.

I'm starting to think that maybe she won't be confirmed, and that is likely a good thing.

1 comment:

Nylarthotep said...

You know, I use to not like Krauthammer, but the more I read of his, the more I find his observations astute.

I guess I've reached the point where I would like to get to the hearing. I don't see Meirs being withdrawn, but I want to hear more why she is appropriate for a Judge.

I just don't see that this is even a mediocre candidate.