Thursday, February 09, 2006

Students Suing the School

Ah the California Dream. Even the students are flakes and nuts.
A group of California high school students sued the state's superintendent of education, claiming a new exam may unfairly deny them a diploma even when they meet all other graduation requirements.
Hmm. Let's see. If the requirement for graduation includes the test than how they being "unfairly denied" a diploma? Why do the students believe that they have the right to set the bar?
The students claim the California High School Exit Examination, which is being given for the first time this year, denies them an equal opportunity to learn because some teachers aren't certified in the subjects being tested. Thousands of students may join the suit, filed today in San Francisco, said Arturo Gonzalez, a lawyer for the students.
Well, if some teachers aren't certified, sue the Teacher's Unions. I'm certain they are ensuring the highest level of certifications for their members. Or maybe not.

Then the lawyer was heard.
Gonzalez said the state failed to study alternatives for students who could not pass the test, particularly English-learners, as the legislation required when lawmakers approved the exam in 1999. The lawsuit also claims the state is denying some students their fundamental right to an equal education.
How much is this guy making on this suit?

The issue still comes down to making allowances for those who won't put the effort into passing the exams. The teacher may not be the pinnacle of their profession, but the standard being set isn't a gold standard either. By allowing an alternative to passing the test requirements you set the education standard lower. How does that provide for an equal education?

It also sounds like another case where someone has a "right" that doesn't exist. The student has no "right" to a diploma. They have a right to receive a quality education. They have earn the diploma. This is another wonderful indicator of the entitlement society being constructed in the US.


2 comments:

Tom said...

What "right" does anyone have to even an education? I just looked over the Constitution again and I couldn't find one. Maybe it's in the CA constitution?

Somehow I doubt it. Just another example of how far we've fallen. Oh, and I love the term "English-learners". Maybe I'm just being too demanding when I conclude that high school graduates should be fluent in English. Yeah, probably.

Nylarthotep said...

I didn't find any thing specifically stating a right in their constitution, but then they do have article 9 which is only about education. I didn't get all the way through it, but I'd bet they have something in there that is a mandate to provide education. I believe most states have such mandates in their constitutions, though I don't have the legal knowledge to say that is the same thing as a right.

Tom, you are so un-PC. I totally agree with you. I don't beleive there should be alternate language allowances in this country. There should be a single state language. Schools should address non-english literate students as needed, but that doesn't remove the requirement for them to have to pass the test on english.

The MSM reports continual whining about the education system failing, but then they show crap like this that essentially is saying that these students are owed that diploma. I'm just not buying it.

I went to college and graduated, I had to get a good grade on a test (SAT) to get into college. I don't see the present testing as being any different.