Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I Love the Way this Man Thinks... and Writes

This is a great read, as is everything I've read at this blog. I think it well worth sharing.

Only a few minutes ago, I had the delightful opportunity to read the comment of a fellow who said he wished that white, middle-class, racist, conservative cocksuckers like myself could have been herded into the Superdome Concentration Camp to see how much we like it. Absent, of course, was the fundamental truth of what he plainly does not have the eyes or the imagination to see, namely, that if the Superdome had been filled with white, middle-class, racist, conservative cocksuckers like myself, it would not have been a refinery of horror, but rather a citadel of hope and order and restraint and compassion.

And

But Sean Penn can take himself, an entourage and a personal photographer – that’s three or four people in a four-person boat – and show us all how incredibly big and down-home he is by sailing off a few feet to rescue people, before the boat sinks from the incompetence of failing to put in the drainage plug. He wore a very nice white flak vest, instead of the passé orange life preserver, because getting shot at is a lot more macho looking, if a million or so times less likely, than drowning because you went out into the water with a lead vest rather than a life vest. It’s a scene in the trailer that runs incessantly in their heads: In a world run by evil corporations, a rebel who plays by his own rules starts a deadly game of cat and mouse with an all-powerful conspiracy in this searing portrait of extraordinary courage in a life under siege, starring…me!
I was actually ready to publicly commend the guy, until I heard about the personal photographer. If he wanted to help people – and that’s all – he could have paid for that boat, and a few hundred others, manned them with reasonably competent recreational boaters, and sent out a flotilla. But no. It’s not about having people saved. It’s about something else entirely. It’s about having people saved by Sean Penn. That’s when I realized that whether it’s the Murderous Regime in Iraq, or the Murderous Regime in Iran, or the Murderous Storm in Louisiana…ultimately, it’s all about Sean Penn. Peace Be Upon Him.

It's a long read, but enjoyable and well worth the time.

2 comments:

Nylarthotep said...

Interesting piece. He definitely gets wound up.

I'd conjecture though that any largish metropolis would have the looting that was seen in NOLA. I don't know to what extent, but there would be. I think that there are just too many people in our society today that are willing to take advantage of a situation for personal gain rather than survival.

But then, I can't say that I'm a sheepdog either. I just don't have a "love" for my fellow citizen. I have never thought of wishing I was on one of the planes during 9/11. I must be pessimistic in that I don't think any of those planes would have been recoverable. Yes, you could have stopped the terrorists success, but the plane still would have crashed.

Granted said...

I sure as hell don't love my fellow man, but I think I must be a sheepdog because I frequently think about how they could have been stopped on those airplanes and how I could have helped.
I don't know Nyarl, love your fellow man or not, you are the kind of guy that runs towards the fire, not away from it. Now you may be snarling about "what incompetent fool set the lantern next to the cow" as you go, but you do go, planning an ass-womping for later.