Saturday, July 02, 2005

Another Reason NOT to Listen to Actors

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise. This makes me pretty much want him to STFU.

Cruise has taken to giving psychiatric advice:

-"I've never agreed with psychiatry, ever. Before I was a Scientologist I never agreed with psychiatry. And when I started studying the history of psychiatry, I understood more and more why I didn't believe in psychology ... And I know that - psychiatry is - is a pseudo-science."

-"Here we are today where I talk out against drugs and psychiatric abuses of electric-shocking people, okay, against their will, of drugging children with them not knowing the effects of these drugs. Do you know what Adderall is? Do you know Ritalin? Do you know now that Ritalin is a street drug? Do you understand that?"

-"Here's the problem. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do ... And if you understand the history of it, it masks the problem. That's what it does. That's all it does. You're not getting to the reason why. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance."

-"[W]hat happens, the antidepressant, all it does is mask the problem. There's ways of vitamins and through exercise and various things. I'm not saying that [post-partum depression] isn't real. That's not what I'm saying. That's an alteration of what - what I'm saying. I'm saying that drugs aren't the answer, these drugs are very dangerous. They're mind-altering, anti-psychotic drugs. And there are ways of doing it without that so that we don't end up in a brave new world ... [T]he thing that I'm saying about Brooke [Shields, who suffered from post partum depression] is that there's misinformation, OK. And she doesn't understand the history of psychiatry. She - she doesn't understand in the same way that you don't understand it, Matt."

You can read the rest of the illogical rant on the link. His study of the history of psychiatry is irrelevant. He seems to think that has relevance to the modern science of the mind. That is like saying the history of surgery should be relevant to the modern medical sciences. His pea brain seems to miss that science evolves and learns from the past, but that prior methods aren't relevant to the modern methods.

His railing against the use of drugs has little base in reality. Many drugs are of great use to people with various problems. Post-partem depression is a perfect example that he believes drugs shouldn't be used for. I believe that drugs are prescribed far too often these days, but I also know that there are professionals who understand there use and they should be used on a case by case basis.

I won't even discuss his belief in Scientology.

No comments: