Thursday, January 06, 2005

Stone States Movie Failure Due to "Raging Fundamentalism in Morality"

Oliver Stone has let his little tin foil cap slide again.

At the UK premiere of his epic film of Alexander, Oliver Stone last night blamed "raging fundamentalism in morality" for the film's US box office failure.

"Sexuality is a large issue in America right now, but it isn't so much in other countries," the Oscar-winning director explained yesterday. "There's a raging fundamentalism in morality in the United States. From day one audiences didn't show up. They didn't even read the reviews in the [American] south because the media was using the words: 'Alex is Gay'."

Hmmm. I didn't go to the movie. Though I did read the reviews and one thing made me decide not to go. The overwhelming review that the movie was CRAP. And just to make clear, I'm not a fundamentalist christian. [Hell, I'm not even a christian.]

Just look at the VDH review of the movie. That was enough to convince me.

1 comment:

Granted said...

It was the VDH review that turned me off too. I could care less about the homoerotic aspects. 1) Things were just different then, deal with it. 2) That AIN'T the main thrust of the story, or even the apparently excreble film. I mean seriously, how do you tell the story of Alexander and leave out well more than half the major battles. They cover what Guagamela and the one in India? That's it? I'm not going.