Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Propaganda Blogs

Hugh Hewitt at the Daily Standard.

Article basically opinionizing (opinionating? damn english) on how blogs could be used by the government or terrorists to push their agenda.

I think there is something wrong with this idea though. Well, at least from how I use the blogs. Blogs provide an opinion based link to information. If it's an entry on someone else's opinion, I don't have too much interest. I like the opinion that then sends you to a news source or an authoritative source, where I then can glean the information myself. I think most of the blogs I have listed in the side bar are that way in general.

I do like when people hold pundits to there facts. Mainly that's because so many of the MSM pundits get things terribly wrong. Use of "facts" that were distorted or out of context when they became facts for the MSM are really necessary to understand.

So, can a blog be used for propaganda? Sure. Will I be reading them? Probably not. When a topic really interests me I pull out the search engine and look up a bunch of the links related to the topic and see where it leads me. Many times I find information that flies in the face of the accepted "facts" which then leads me to be not quite as certain about the topic as I may have started out.

This would also make one question why anyone takes any blogger as an authority. I certainly don't. Only the really good ones, which provide you with copious links and data make me give them a title of analyst. Never Authority. Question Authority. [At all levels and in all ways.]

No comments: