Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Intelligent Discourse

The Village Voice weighs in with a pithy comment on the presidential election results. It's clear to me that magazines such as the Village Voice are painting a clear picture of the state of the Union. They're giving us the vision and leadership to move forward into a new, better future. Best of all they're doing this with the understanding and open mindedness that progressive politics stands for. Just look at the even handed representation of their political opponents in this jocular comment about the types of people voting for Bush. The appreciation evident in the piece for the sacrifice of children from the heartland is one the things that really stands out for me. After all, who better to serve in the military than the people from fly-over country. We wouldn't want any of our intelligent, progressive, leaders from the Village Voice to get a hang nail manipulating the bolt on an M-4 now would we?

OK. Enough. I'm making myself sick. Clearly the liberal and progressive elements in America don't want to win elections any more. I used to be so offended by the "America, Love it or Leave it" bumber stickers, but now I at last understand where those sentiments came from. I still don't agree with them, but I understand them.

No comments: