Thursday, March 16, 2006

Skinhead Port World

I saw Brit Hume mention this and just had to look it up.

Chuckles Schumer at his best:

Mr. Schumer'’s campaign against the Dubai deal was a Sunday press conference gone nuclear, a political explosion fueled by the tabloid-honed, bread-and-butter Brooklyn populism that has driven Mr. Schumer'’s remarkable success with the New York and, increasingly, the national media. The ingredients were familiar: a suspicion of Arab governments; an immediate grasp of an issueÂ’s visceral appeal (Terrorists! Ports!); and a wonky intimacy with the arcana of a relatively obscure policy area, maritime security.
The Senator'’s position came under fire from many quarters, with some critics suggesting that opposition to the deal was driven by xenophobia or anti-Arab racism. Mr. Schumer heatedly disputes that view. "Let's say skinheads had bought a company to take over our port,"” he said. "“I think the outcry would have been the same."”
Um, ok. But tell me, if they were American skinheads, would there be any legal restrictions to their owning the port terminal operations? I'm going to say a big NO. And would there have been an outcry? Is there some contention that skinheads are terrorists or a security risk?

Sorry, I'm thinking Chuck is out to lunch again. Or is that still?


3 comments:

Granted said...

The one gian assumption in the room is that skinheads have the brains to amass enough cash to buy the port. Most of the one's I've ben aware of managed to save enough money to buy a gun and that was the end of their fiscal planning.

Nylarthotep said...

Nice to see your experience of skinheads was so enamoring. But then, I've never lived with one, so I guess I can't say much.

geekwife said...

Ummm... I hope you're not calling me a skinhead. My hair's not that short anymore! :>