Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Geeks and the HR Department

I really enjoyed this article. Being a bit of an oddball and frequently feeling like I'm one misplaced comment away from a trip to HR, although I'm not even close to being a genius and mode code FREQUENTLY fails to compile the first time (second, third, fourth...), I identify with and understand this point of view. It's frightening how many people fail to appreciate that the social misanthropes are the best at tuning out the world in order to address the unique problems that 1's & 0's present us. While I don't normally bring my geekier computer stuff over to this blog, I think this one is worth sharing.

1 comment:

Nylarthotep said...

A "bit" of an oddball? Heh.

I got a laugh out of the HR Quasi-scientific testing he describes. I've only got caught in that once and just didn't bother to try for the job anymore after taking the test. There are those questions that are just stupid, which I understand are common to get at Micro$oft interviews. Like why is a manhole cover round. Got that one once and had to explain to the HR person that it was because they are heavy and rolling them is easier than dragging. They insisted it's because you can't drop them down the man hole by accident, and then didn't appreciate that the same is true for any object with 5 or more sides.

The "team player" concept takes over every industry sooner or later. That will never change. Even if it's a foolish way to do things in many endeavors. Especially programming.