Monday, November 21, 2005

WWI Veteran Dies, Fox News Messes Up History

I was just watching Fox news when I saw on the chiron that the last survivor that took part in the famous Christmas Truce of 1914 died today. That leaves only 10 veterans of the Great War alive in Britain. Interesting news.

The most interesting part was that the chiron went on to explain that the Christmas Truce of 1914 effectively ended WWI... WHAT? I started laughing, then thought to hit pause and rewind it. I checked it twice. Yep, unbeknownst to us, the war ended in 1914. I wrote them a quick note:

Hello,

I just saw the chiron displaying news about the death of the last survivor of the WWI Christmas Truce of 1914. Interesting information, thanks for sharing it. The chiron then went on to explain that the truce effectively ended WWI. Unfortunately, the war kept going until November, 11th, 1918 (not counting the fighting between the Allies and the Communists in Russia that continued into 1919) resulting in millions more deaths in horrific battles like Gallipoli, Passchendaele, Meuse-Argonne and Verdun. You might want to fix that one.


I can't wait to see the response, if any.

2 comments:

Nylarthotep said...

I give up. What the hell is a Chiron? I thought he was some Centaur or the like, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I did see the news segment, but I guess I missed that. But then I don't usually actually watch the news so much as listen to it while reading the news on line.

Granted said...

It's that little scrolling text thingy at the bottom of the screen. Every time the news gets boring my eyes get pulled down there and I start reading. Must be some kind of default position for me... Boring planet, start reading.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't have anything in my mouth at the time.