Monday, November 28, 2005

Modern Day Xenephon

It never occurred to me. I love the movie "The Warriors" and it never even crossed my mind that it was basically the story of the greek warriors battle-march home through the length of Persia. Too cool. Another reason to love it.
I do catch a certain amount of guff around here because I read Salon, but it's articles like this one that keep me coming back again and again.
Oh, and the GeekWife and I used to take karate at the same dojo as the psycho in the movie.
I'm going to have to rent the game... Warriors come out to play...

3 comments:

Nylarthotep said...

Guess I still don't see it as the march of the 10,000. Of course, I still have problem seeing "Barbwire" as Casablanca. But then it could be more because I'm reticent to see such a destruction of the original stories.

Sometimes I'd just rather not know.

Is this another case of a film industry remake just because?

Granted said...

It seems like every good schlock movie needs to be remade worse than before. That's why we have the remakes like 13 Ghosts and Assault on Precinct 13 that basically stink on toast because they toss the ideals of the originals. I suspect the Warriors remake will be a pretty major disappointment. The only one of these that has ever worked well was the remake of House on Haunted Hill when Jeremy Rush channelled Vincent Price. Most of the time, if you loved the old film, the new one feels like a prison rape, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory vs. Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory for example.

geekwife said...

I think prison rape is strong. I hardly had a love of the original 13 Ghosts (it's got a naive charm, but it's still bad), so the remake didn't exactly offend me. And I'm no great fan of Willy Wonka either. It's okay, but I don't really care for the music. The remake has the advantage of sticking closer to the book during the musical sequences, which I love. As far as I'm concerned, a really good version of that book has yet to be filmed.

Hollywood lacks courage and vision, so it's always safer to remake a moderate succes than to risk a brand new film. Also, I think the age of the average moviegoer (early to mid teens?) has a big effect on those decisions.