Saturday, October 13, 2007

Why Do I Scare Sushi Restraunts

Ok, I don't understand why people at sushi bars seem to be bothered by my ordering. I only ordered $67 worth of sushi and sake by myself. That's not that much. Though I must say I really do prefer Granted and the geeQWhyfe's local establishment. They don't have Ume Shiso anywhere around, which is really pathetic.

Lady who sat beside me looked at the book I was reading and couldn't leave me alone. (Which was a bad thing since she was neither attractive nor single nor particularly intelligent.) I was reading Kwaidan by Lafcadio Hearn. My copy is over 100 years old. Oh, that's Japanese ghost stories. It's October, so I try to stick with ghost stories for my reading practice. Lovecraft tends to top the list, but I like a bit of the eclectic to go with it. I just don't find anything scary about modern ghost stories. Blackwood, Clark, Whitehead, and Chambers all seem to be so much more interesting. Stephen King is nauseating in his pedestrian methods of writing horror.

So I'm definitely feeling better. Or maybe just better lubricated. The sake loosened me up and the Scotch is helping me along. Talisker, I think Granted wouldn't approve. Oh well. I like it.

Funny, this is how they say to drink whisky. (I don't care what the spell check says, that is the correct spelling.)
It should be noted that there is no “right” or “wrong” way to drink Scotch whisky – it is very much down to a question of personal taste. However, let us offer a few basic suggestions and, for those interested in pursuing the pleasures of “nosing” and “tasting” further, we provide a link below to a detailed introduction to “nosing and tasting” scotch whisky.

Many who drink Scotch whisky neat say they do not want to spoil the taste by adding water. However, equally as many will say that adding a touch of water, particularly if it is pure, soft spring water, (ideally the same spring water used in the making of the particular whisky!) serves to enhance the distinctive aroma and flavour of a whisky. Tap water may contain high amounts of chlorine and therefore would not complement any whisky - your best bet is to opt for bottled Scottish mineral water!

Adding ice to a whisky can provide a refreshing drink but it should be noted that it will dull the fine taste and wonderful aromas and so should never be contemplated when conducting a “whisky nosing and tasting.” Similarly, carbonated water is not an ideal accompaniment for whisky as it will also interfere with the aromas.

The addition of mixers such as ginger ale, soda and even coca cola, is a popular trend, however it does beg the question - why drink whisky at all if you need to mask the taste?

Personally, I don't see any other way to drink it other than neat. Scottish Mineral Water? WTF? Though apparently it kills cancer cells.
The water of life – or “uisge beatha” in Gaelic - is a euphemism for whisky, but another Highland drink has been shown to have a more valid claim to the title.

The water, sourced from near Balmoral Castle, has been said to possess healing qualities since 1760

A mineral water taken from wells near the Queen’s Balmoral Castle can help to slow the spread of cancer, according to scientists.

Tests on Deeside Mineral Water suggest that it inhibits the growth of certain cancerous cells and kills other diseased cells.
Umm. Yeah.

Been listening to more slide guitar music lately. Well, that is because I've found a bunch of musicians that play it on Pandora. Bet I'm making them some money. I couldn't find this stuff on my own, and this service definitely has clued me into a lot of music that I like. Unfortunately they don't have any classical, which is what I usually listen to.

So I've earned a new nickname at work. I've been Grim, SDG (short dark and gloomy (or grumpy)), and now I've been labeled the Prince of Darkness. One comedian has taken to playing the Imperial March when I walk by. Not that I mind. I suppose that is to be expected when you're given a thankless job like lab manager. Funny how cabling gets much neater if you just keep disconnecting the ones that are messy. (I tried asking and that didn't work, so now I just remove the ones I don't like.)

Oh well, I need another glass.






2 comments:

BobG said...

"Blackwood, Clark, Whitehead, and Chambers all seem to be so much more interesting."
Some of my favorites; I also have a fondness for Arthur Machen.

Nylarthotep said...

Wow, there's a name you don't hear often. I have a lot of his books. "House of Souls" "Hills of dreams" "Far off things" and his rather strange short stories have made great reading.

I even have his first book "Anatomy of Tobacco" God knows why he wrote that.

"The Bowmen and Other Legends of the War" is a particular favorite by way of WW1 stories.