Friday, July 28, 2006

Churchill's African War Books

So, Granted, in his usual manner, has found some excellent books on Isandlwana and Roarke's Drift, which of course I had to rush out and purchase. I'm not linking to them, since I'm lazy.

I did find some interesting free books on the African wars of Great Britain written by Winston Churchill. Project Gutenberg of course. The first is The River War about the history around the loss and retaking of the Sudan. The other is London to Ladysmith via Pretoria obviously on the Boer war.

The only problem with these books is printing them out. I can't stand reading books on a CRT.

Then there is the web-sites that I found on the British Battles. This site has briefs, maps and illustrations of many different battles and links to books on the topic. (It's a British site, so the books are all from amazon.com.uk. I hope I can find some of these here in the colonies.)


1 comment:

Granted said...

Just finished "How Can Men Die Better". Wow is my best comment. It's pretty amazing. The amazon reviews are very hung on the fact that author is serving with the descendants of the unit and therefor paints it as a love affair. It just ain't so. It's a great read. I'm really looking forward to the next book.
That River War book sounds good. I can read from a CRT, but only for short stints (reading to the spawn in the car, it works, but I doubt they'd be interested in Churchill yet).