Sunday, April 16, 2006

Get & Go Kit - Survival Kit

Been discussing this and I see that these fall into 2 types, those that you grab when potential of danger is coming(natural disaster), and those that you have with you when you are not expecting danger, but you're in a situation where something unexpected could happen(recreation, Hiking/camping). There is some differences. In camping, you want to have a good time and are not responding to a threat, just the potential for one. I'm going to start with this one.

So the first kit is fairly small and can be put in a day pack or the like. I wouldn't carry food or water beyond the planned needs. The kit must also have the ability to be long lasting. You can't have supplies spoiling. The kit should also be something you can stash in the car for prolonged periods. You'll also notice my attempts to completely avoid batteries and other failure points that could have you carrying useless equipment.

I've chosen a kit container is something like an EMT kit about 3"x4"x8" in dimensions and has the ability to be carried on the belt.

Items: Most of these should be wrapped in some type of ziplock bag of some sort. Dry is always better.
Compass - I usually have a good compass for hiking and the like, so this one would be a simpler form.
Faraday flashlight -You know the ones you shake, no batteries
Chem light sticks (2) Emergency use
Folding knife or multi-tool - I'm going for one of each since the multi-tool doesn't have a good knife, but the extra tools is helpful.
String/rope - 15' parachute cord, 20' of lighter cord, 30' of nylon fine string
Water Purification tablets - I have the really strong ones intended for purification of really bad water
Matches - In a waterproof container - Both the 'strike anywhere' type and the wind/waterproof types
Sparker tool - Military or magnesium types
Fire Accelerator - Something that is easy to start and will continue to burn in bad environments to get a regular fire started. Trioxane fuel or a wax/paraffin fuel. Still trying to figure out what is best for this one.
Candle
Emergency Survival Sleeping Bag - This is the those foil reflective blanket. Don't go too cheap, though these are pretty inexpensive to start with.
Metal Signaling Mirror
Emergency Whistle
Duct Tape (15') - Not that silver crap, get the green or black military stuff. Stickier, stronger, longer lifetime. I'm wondering if I should have more since it doesn't take much space and is really useful.
Wire Saw
(2) 1-Gallon Ziplock bags - You can carry water or whatever in them and take almost no space
Fish Hooks or fishing kit
Safety pins (5)
Carabiner and Bead Chain lanyards (3) - You don't want to lose the compass or knives, so put a lanyard on those things that are very important.
Pencil and Notebook - I'm not sure I see much need for these, but they can be bumped for something that makes more sense
Bic Lighter - Don't I have enough fire makers? Probably skip this

What else? I've heard of the Sewing kits, but I'm not convinced for this level of kit. I'm also skeptical of the fish hooks, though I think the space is so small that it's something to toss in just in case.

I still find this lacking in addressing the need for medical equipment, but those supplies generally have a shelf life that I am having trouble resolving. I'll just have to work on this more.

Now the Get & Go pack for the natural disaster. Start with the kit above. You have a good deal of the basic to start with. The pack will obviously have to be larger. I'm thinking you get to the level of a small day pack for a single person. Expand as needed for the family or multi-person kits and the number of bodies who can carry them. Remember, go for small and light weight with everything.

Items:
Water Filtration System - I'm fond of the ceramic filters for their greater efficiency and lifetimes, but the cost is an issue there.
Canteen - 1 liter size stored empty
Long blade knife - Military type survival knives are good. Think 8-12" blade. Not double edged, this is a multi-use tool not just a weapon, though that use is still available.
Hatchet or heavy knife - I prefer the Woodman's Pal, though there are alternatives
Crank Powered Radio
Rain Poncho
Sewing Kit (?)
Small Surgical Kit - Not that you necessarily have the skills to use it, but you may have to improvise. These kits are of the tools, not bandages or the like.
Small Medical Kit - (sigh) I'm still not sure what to have for this. Probably the best thing to do is to have the kit of pain killers, bandages, and sterilizers in your medicine cabinet and then pack it at the last minute. Use and replace materials as needed.
Basic First Book - Field guides are available that are pretty good.
Food - Another hard one. MRE's are available, but they aren't fine cuisine and they do age. I leave this one to the house-hold food stores for emergencies.

What's not included?
Well, clothes for one. You'll have to take the time to grab what is appropriate for the weather and the emergency.
Water. It doesn't store well in my opinion. You should preemptively store water. Bottle it a couple of days before the possibility of trouble. It also is very heavy so it isn't good for carrying. I prefer the filtration kit since it's smaller lighter and allows you to be much more efficient.
Firearms. This depends on where you live and your ability to carry concealed and the problem of proper and/or legal storage. I'm also of the opinion that if you have your sidearm in the kit, it's useless. Put it on, and keep it ready. I've also thought about it, and I'm doubting I'll be carrying my highly concealable handgun. I'm probably going for the Colt 1911 and a secondary. Long arms will be dependent on situation.

Then there are the Government recommendations. This is from Ready.gov for a portable kit. Personally, I view this as a bloody joke.
Recommended Supplies to Include in a Portable Kit:
  • Water, amounts for portable kits will vary. Individuals should determine what amount they are able to both store comfortably outside the home and be able to transport to other locations
  • Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
  • Battery-powered radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert, and extra batteries for both
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • First Aid kit
  • Whistle to signal for help
  • Dust mask or cotton t-shirt, to help filter the air
  • Moist towelettes for sanitation
  • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
  • Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
  • Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
  • Unique family needs, such as daily prescription medications, infant formula or diapers, and important family documents
  • Garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
You can look at the rest of the site. There are some good ideas, but I think you could make a much more effective kit with a little simple thought.

Any suggestions of things I've forgotten?


No comments: