Tuesday, January 11, 2005

May Be Some Hope

Apparently everyone on the left isn't blind to the fact that the terrorists aren't exactly going to set up a glorious social utopia if they succeed. I personally still feel the tug of my lefty past, back when I thought there was more respect for the individual coming out the left. Gay Rights? Yep, support. Freedom of Choice for women? Check. Right on top of that. First amendment rights even when it offends people (in most of the lefty cases it meant burning the flag and critiquing EVERYTHING about America, but I've always included letting right wing Nazi wing nuts have their idiot time to spew as well)? Yes indeedy. Fourth Amendment protections & Miranda absolutism? Yep & Yep. But not support for mass murderers and assassins (damn near literally hashishim these days). No frigging way. It goes against all that the left supposedly stands for. The self-loathing of Western thought and Western idealism by Westerners has gone WAY beyond the bounds of common sense. I find myself adrift, neither able to sign on to the current, insane, down right stupid agenda of the left, nor able to agree to the overly Christian right side of the fence on some important issues.

2 comments:

Nylarthotep said...

I'll admit I'm probably a little more to the right than you lefties though I'm definitely far from the Religious Right, but I can't see how anyone can support these extremists. Especially now that the war against Sadam and his Baathist extremists is over. The only ones fighting there now are for the most part killing civilians in a terror campaign. I'd have more sympathy for them if they were only fighting against the American armed forces, though not a lot. At least they'd be fighting combatants and not un-armed innocents. Even worse they are killing those that are trying to provide for the rights of the general worker.

geekwife said...

Lefties?!!?

You have insulted me deeply!! No more homemade pizza for you!

I think it would be nice if the left woke up, but I think it's unlikely to happen. More likely, I think, is that many of the more rational on the left will wake up a bit and join the middle. Helping the middle have rational debate and hopefully find reasonable solutions, while leaving the moonbats to howl ineffectively and keeping the center from drifting too close to those wacko right-wingers.